Welcome to my blog


I update my blog weekly, so follow me on twitter to receive updates & post comments if you like what you read

Saturday 17 March 2012

I don't need you to believe in me...

I don't know if everyone experiences this but when I tell people I am going to do something that is going to be a challenge, they usually tell me 'oh, you won't be able to do that' or something to that effect.

That was the same at the beginning when I said I was going to lose a lot of weight for my wedding. It seems to be that the minute you say you are going to get fit or lose weight you are confronted with 3 types of people.

1) The instant expert


This is the person who, despite having never previously shown any reason to suggest so, suddenly becomes an expert on weight loss and how to build lean muscle. They will share with you some half baked exercise programme, write you a diet plan and back it all up with a scientific explanation that makes solving the Kennedy assassination more plausible.

The trick is to identify these people quickly so you don't end up following any of their advice. Some of it could be good but would you take advice from someone who thought they looked like the first pic, but actually more closely resembled the second? (from www.fit2fat2fit.com)

Thought not... 

2) The critic / the dream crusher 

In a nutshell this is the person who says 'You will never be able to do that' because they know they couldn't...


Sadly these people can be your friends and family, don't listen to them. If everyone who heard someone say this to them decided to quit, the world would be a much less advanced place. I have met these people, some of them are friends of mine and I don't let them affect my motivation. Well in a way ... I do.

I use the critics to motivate me more, I think about them telling me I can't do something that I know I can do. It is a great feeling proving these people wrong and they are always wrong. If you put the hard work in and you stay focussed on your goals, you will achieve them.

In my experience a critic can become a know it all when you are part way through achieving your goals. When they suddenly realise it is possible and you are able to do it, they will say things like 'you have done well so far but you will obviously find it more difficult / your results will slow down / you will put the weight back on .... ' I don't think so!


3) The supporter 

Surround yourself with these people, they are great. They will support you, they won't doubt you and they will  help you achieve your goals. 


I am lucky that most people I know fit in this category. So thank you to my fiancee and my good friend Pete who have supported me the most. If you don't have people like this in your life, find them, make them a training partner (this is Pete in my case) and spend as much time with them as possible. If you dream big and you have positive reinforcement you are more likely to achieve your goals. 

No comments:

Post a Comment