If you want to burn Extra calories without doing extra work, put on some lean muscle.
Each pound of pure muscle you add to your body will burn an extra 50 calories per day. If you add 10lbs of pure muscle, you will burn an extra 500 calories per day which means an extra 3500 calories per week.
Every pound of fat you have in your body consists of 3500 calories! So every week you would be comfortably losing that unsightly flab you are working hard to get rid of.
To put on lean muscle you need to make sure you use proper form. Make sure your target muscles are the muscles contracting during your exercises. Too many times I see people swinging their body in order to life the dumbbells they are using for bicep curls. Instead, choose a suitable weight and follow these simple rules.
1. When lifting the weight ensure your biceps are contracting only
2. Be explosive when lifting the weight
3. When lowering the weight ensure the movement is controlled at a slow pace. Try to take three seconds to lower the weight
4. Pause before you lift the weight for your second rep (you don't want momentum to help you as this prevents you from building lean muscle)
5. Do 4 sets of decreasing reps (20, 16, 12, 10). Increase the weights if you can
This exercise will burn your arms but will give you great results.
Did you also know you should focus on building muscle on your legs? Get squatting and lunging if you want to put on that lean muscle you are looking for. Your legs are the biggest muscles in your body, working them hard will help you get the burn you want.
Lastly, make sure you feed your muscles after a workout. To ensure you help your muscles recover you need a source of protein within 30 minutes of finishing your workout.